November 14, 2011

"Even though you are finished, you are not finished."

I have this lump on my knee. I think it’s Osgood-Schlatter disease but I don’t know because I never cared enough to check it out. But it hurts if I push on it and it’s been there for what… 10 years? Meh.

Last Christmas I tore a muscle in my ribs shifting the blankets from one side to the other (it was cold - there were many heavy blankets). It still hasn’t healed because I keep reinjuring it while doing arm-stands in yoga. Or while pushing myself up from a chair. Or while turning to look at something.

Also I have some running… sensitivity. As in I’m pretty much always sore from running.

Why do I say this? Because this is the state I am in now, upon starting to do something most people start at age 5. I have started taking ballet.

I will probably not go “en pointe,” which makes me sad. So stop asking. You basically have to train your body as it grows to be able to do that. Since I am fully grown, it would be pretty tough. And probably kind of dumb.

So why am I doing it at all? Why am I shelling out $14 a week to basically be told I’m not good at a thing? Because I want to. Because I’ve always wanted to. So now that I’m an adult, I will pay for my own ballet class and eat Doritos for dinner if I want to and leave my towel kind of bunched up on the floor sometimes.

My teacher is a lovely man from Venezuela. And when I say lovely, I mean that the other night he told us, “That was good! Well, it wasn’t good. But it was the start of something good.” I shall call him El Tigre. Look for updates as I progress. Or fall on my face. EITHER WAY WE’RE GONNA HAVE A LOT OF FUN.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Roger? Are classes open, I would love to join you if you would be open to that, call me, or facebook me or something!

    ReplyDelete